Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Veterinarians Conquer the World

June 1, 2010
Veterinarians Conquer the World
As we sat in a Novartis conference room in tall, reclining, ergonomic chairs, the Novartis Research and Development director reaffirmed me that I am joining one of the most rewarding professions in the world. The options for the career life of the veterinarian are unlimited and only we (the lion in the cage with the open door) are the limiting factor. I was convinced really of this before I began veterinary school and it was certainly part of my drive to get there. However, I certainly did not know of all the incredible options out there- especially for someone with a background in intercultural communications. I dream of having relationships with people all over the world – in a business fashion- as my family company has- but had no idea how that would that correspond with private veterinary practice. The talk at Novartis opened my mind up to the possibilities, especially innovative ones—where you are the creator and they are the buyer. It also made me shake a little in my boots- because my career path is unknown (I never envisioned myself in veterinary school 5 years ago- and some people even scoffed at the idea!); at the same time- it makes my future full of excitement. As we went through the day, the drive to “accomplish it all” surged within me. Not only do I want to know the medical side but I want to know the business side. I want to know the ins and outs --- and in this way I find my father as I look in the mirror - the man who wants to “do it all.” A gift and a flaw!!! Not to mention I am about to marry a man who is just like me!! Oh No! :O) None-the-less, at the same time, I find a deep respect for those who know fields that I have no interest in, and do them extremely well. So despite my desire to push and do it all- some things I am willing to give up for my own sanity!! I hope I remember this as I enter the working world.

No comments: