Monday, June 7, 2010

Thoughts

Over the last few weeks, I have learned a lot about Germany. I find many things interesting, especially to compare with how we do or have things. Some things take a while to get used to, but others are really great.
For starters, they recycle everything! Everywhere you go, there are recycle bins. They even charge for plastic and glass bottles to encourage you to recycle. If you take these items to the special recycle bins, you get the money back. I know it can be a hassle, but it’s one way to keep people recycling!
I am really impressed with their public transport systems! They are great!! You don’t need a car, just wait a few minutes and there is bound to be a bus, tram, metro, or train going your way! I really enjoyed using the public transport systems and wish we had such systems in place. It would be so nice to just hop on a train every time I wanted to visit family, or take the tram to school! It would sure save on gas, pollution, traffic, and parking spaces!
They also walk and ride bikes a lot. This means the people are healthier from exercise and yet again it’s much better for the environment. Watch out though, you may get run over if your standing in the bike lane! I was always so tired by the end of the day I couldn’t wait to get something to eat and go to bed! But, I also feel healthier from the exercise.
They really have some great systems in place and I think we could really benefit from using some of the same systems. It would be an adjustment to get used to, but I think in the long run we would really like the end result!
I really had a great time in Europe and I can’t wait to go back!!

No comments: