Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Trivia

I often remind myself that “all things in life are of value.” -- Meaning that all experiences rather good or bad results in invaluable life lessons-- that if you allow them-- better who you are. I believe this, for better or worse. Nonetheless, or in-spite of this belief, I sieve through tons of information thrown at us and decisively trash the unnecessary. In fact, in some circumstances, while I may physically be present, I am mentally in another realm. Veterinary school has only equipped me to do this much more efficiently and with ease. So I pose to you – when is information trivia?
Trivia: Of little worth or importance.
May I further draw out your thoughts: For instance, often history is presented as a matter-of-fact. – Note: this isn’t to say history is unimportant or trivial and if you read this and think such you’ve missed the point- But History in this manner – as a matter-of-fact- does not require one to draw any conclusions. Conclusions that if were made would have a substantial impact on ones point of view and perhaps, extend into how one carries out their own affairs. History given to us in a take-it or leave-it manner and as conglomerations of information without or with little connection or significance (such as: this man built this house in the 16th century… ) leaves a lot to be desired. Information as such falls through the sieve to never be retrieved again. The saddening part about such is that to the historian it is the interconnections between the mosaic pieces which are presented as trivial history that makes the beautiful historical masterpiece. However, the foreigner, who wants exposure to “it all,” in the overwhelming sea of information misses the depth and the meaning of trivia. Knowing such facts, to me will not better my life or increase my skills and abilities- not without deeper connections and thoughts that allow me to make conclusions and which result in truly learning from the past.
Perhaps a better approach to learn history is to grasp at fewer “significant trivias” and piece them together to explain a culture and a people today.

No comments: