Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Basel

I really liked Basel. The people at Novartis were extremely nice and seemed really excited to tell us about what they do and what they've been working on. Definitely another dimension of veterinary medicine that I haven't really thought about. Going through the research building seemed a bit rushed, because it didn't feel like we got to ask the research scientists all the questions we wanted to ask. Nonetheless, I learned a lot.
One thing I could have done without was the bugs. I'm not a big fan of the insect world. I know they serve a function, and as long as they stay out of my house, they're fine. ;) I know that they are crutial to the research Novartis is doing, but I'm pretty sure I would opt out of that department if I had a job there. Kudos to those who work with them every day. I appreciate those people.
I really enjoyed our tour of Basel. Absolutely loved our guide! She was wonderful!! Like a lot of towns we had been to, there was tons of history to be learned. At one point (I think on the terrace of the cathedral), we could see Germany and France. I'm kind of a nerd in this way, but I thought that was pretty cool. We actually got some free time after the tour, so, of course, we went into some shops. We discovered that Melissa can pull off hats really well. I'm kind of jealous. Then, it was back to the hotel, which was super nice, and off to Berlin. Bridget was a genius and sat in the emergency exit row, and I sat next to her. More leg room! Remember that future travelers!

No comments: