Sunday, June 21, 2015

Holland: of stolen bicycles and wounded thumbs.

I have 15 minutes of free internet (so generous....) on this train, so I am going to use it to start my last post about the program! Right now I'm somewhere on the east coast of the UK, looking out at the seaside cliffs on my way from Edinburgh to London. None of the last few days in the UK were part of the study abroad, but Scotland was absolutely amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to travel after class ends!
Anyway. After a rendezvous in Amsterdam, the group headed to Utrecht, a town known for its big university about 30 minutes south of Amsterdam, "the center of the Netherlands". We met some of our hosts, who were very friendly and enthusiastic to have us. We went on a brief city tour then had a boat ride down the canals, which was relaxing and a neat way to see the town. I met my host, a second-year vet student interested in equine medicine. We got along and spent a while getting to know each other on the canal tour and at a "BBQ" dinner.
Our days in Utrecht were mostly spent in the veterinary school, learning about their program - which is very different from ours - and touring the clinics. Their students apply to a weighted lottery system directly after high school and do a 3 years bachelor's, then another 3 years of a master's/DVM. Each student has different odds of getting in based on grades and then are randomly selected - overall the odds are about 1/5 to get in since they take 250 students per year. It's nice that they get to start relevant coursework so soon, but on the other hand, starting such a difficult program at age 18 is not ideal and contributes to an attrition rate of something like 15%. The facilities are very modern and spacious. Obviously I loved the equine hospital... though I think the Dutch are a bit insane for riding a horse on an indoor treadmill! (...I would still do it...) 
The best part of Holland was spending time with the students. It was nice to stay in an apartment and get to know my host, who got up every morning to have breakfast with me. I felt awful when the bike she lent me got stolen the very first night I was there, even though I locked it right outside the door for just 5 minutes! We also went water skiing and played laser tag with the students, which was a ton of fun even though I failed at both of these activities. The opposing team we played in laser tag was a group of dirty Dutch cheaters, and I ended up falling rather spectacularly down a ramp and busting my thumb wide open. Worth it.  

Open Air Museum
Burger Zoo
The last morning in the area was spent at the Open Air Museum in Arnhem, which is an outdoor exhibition of old farm houses and windmills representative of Dutch history. It was very neat, and I prefer being outside in the sunshine anyway. Afterwards, we went to Burger Zoo and had a guided tour of two of their "ecosystem" sections. I actually think this zoo had some of the most natural exhibits we've seen, and I would have preferred to explore the entire zoo at my own pace instead of with a guide. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got to visit. 


Shannon and I in Amsterdam
After a farewell dinner and breakfast with my host, the very final day of our program was in Amsterdam. I've heard a lot of interesting things about the city, so I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and quaint the city actually is. Our city guide was a sassy young woman who did a great job showing us both the historical and modern aspects Amsterdam as to offer, including the Red Light District, which isn't as seedy as it sounds despite girls in windows literally right next to the cathedral (sin and forgiveness had to be close together, as our guide explained to us). I really enjoyed strolling along the canals lined by ridiculously narrow and crooked houses, including the Anne Frank house, and I wish I had another day or so there. But, again, I'm still happy for the experience. 

And so we arrive at the end - after eating pancakes one last time together. I still can't believe how fast it all went! This was a great way to see Europe for the first time, and one of the best things about it was meeting vet students and people from around the world. The experience has given me confidence that I am not totally incompetent at navigating a foreign country and has inspired to me travel more in the future, and I really hope I will be able to see everyone I've met again in the future. Traveling - experiencing new cultures, getting lost in a different language, and seeing how history can shape a country (which is what makes Germany especially cool) - is something priceless that no one can ever take away from me. I am lucky to still have two more weeks here at Giessen University, where Rebecca and I have already started in the vet school clinics. I will fly home on July 3, after which I shall write my last post about how sad I am to not be in Europe anymore. 

~Andrea

No comments: