Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good times in Bonn

Okay, so tomorrow we're leaving for the Neatherlands and I'm kind of sad because I'm really starting to like the city. So far in Bonn we've explored the city, been to a research facility, an organic farm and a private veterinary practice. The people in Germany are definitely more concerned with organic and "being green" then we are in the U.S., which I think is a very good thing. We could learn a lot from the Germans regarding sustainable agriculture.

Bonn is a great city. It's full of history (take for example the cathedral built in the 9th century next to the spitting pole where people in the middle ages were tied for punishment...and spit on). I've also discovered Doner, Curryworst and amazing Gelato. Awesome food. Tonight we went to Koln, which definitely had a more big city feel to it. I think that it would probably have more stuff to do for young people than Bonn and it was a Roman city and has several archeological digs and museums that we didn't really get a chance to explore but seem like they would have been very interesting. I was absolutely amazed by the cathedral. It's massive, gorgeous and quite impressive. The Koln cathedral's relic is the three wise men, but they were having mass so we could not get that close to the shrine.

All in all, these three days have been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more adventures. Oh, and I've learned most, but not all people here speak english, but you can get by well enough anyway. It's all part of the experience. :)

No comments: